Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Reflections

I've watched Slaton walk through the valley of death with people he has greatly loved several times now. He has experienced more death in his life of seven years than I had experienced up until I was in my thirties. Each time, I have seen him look to is for our initial response and then follow forward reflecting our emotions, our thoughts and our choices that we make as we walk these paths.

Today as we fly out to be with my father not knowing the road that lies ahead we go with open hands anticipating God's hand in all of this. 

And as I contemplated our arrival, it dawned on me to evaluate to whom I reflect? When I am caught in a place that I've never been, when I am caught unaware and instinctively look for guidance, who do I turn to? I was challenged today to look always to our Father and reflect Him....to follow His lead, His actions and His response...just assuredly as Slaton follows mine.
The world offers a variety of options. We can reflect those who grieve with no hope. We can reflect those who fall apart in despair. We can reflect those who retreat into denial or we can reflect the only One who offers true Hope.

A reflection that embraces the assurance that our foundation is secure. A reflection that is real and not a facade that will fade away. A reflection that becomes so great that joy can be found amidst the valley....unexplainable joy.

I choose to walk this path looking only toward our Father in Heaven. He says that He has conquered this world. So I can stand firm. He says that we can never be plucked from His hand. So I can face life and death with the assurance of Him. He says that He covers me with feather.

So I can rest knowing it is He who holds me.

I pray that it is He whom I reflect, always.

No comments:

Post a Comment