Monday, August 25, 2014

August 25, 2014.... Stand in Obedience...Apart From the World

1 Peter 4:4

They think it strange that you do not plunge with them into the flood of dissipation, and they heap abuse on you.

Changes......Radical Changes.

I used to LOVE Halloween.  Loved it.  Taellor and Devon have memories I am sure of incredible Halloweens... We would all dress up, decorate the house, incredible Halloween parties..once did a Haunted House... LOVED it.  I also had a friend during this time who chose not to participate in Halloween....and oh the grief that I gave her.  "Really? Really? Just think what he is missing?  It is just fun!  Don't dress him up in scary costumes...just bring him." 

And then, my life changed.  I had such an incredible thirst for God's word...and read and read and read.  When I got to Deuteronomy 18:10-12 says this, “ Let no one be found among you who…practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead. Anyone who does these things is detestable to the Lord…”  I had to pause.....

I had an incident with a Ouija Board as a young girl that was pivotal in my thinking....as it was the dear friend I was with.  I had an experience that would forever change my view of horror movies and "senseless and fun" activities... 

Many years after I accepted Christ as my Savior, I answered God's call to go on an evangelistic team to an area of Nicaragua that is steeped greatly in dark magic and voodoo...and found myself again face to face literally with evil.  Face to face with evil..yet, a witness to God's provisions every step up the way beginning six months prior to the trip.  God is faithful.  Truly life changing....eye opening...and solidified my faith in our Father.

I returned from that trip understanding what I already knew to be true...that evil...no matter how pretty, no matter how dressed up or vogue...is evil.  It is.  And to partake in any of it...was wrong.  And, oh the grief that I caught...from our kids (We've always done it before! Why not now?" to our friends "What's the big deal? Do Trunk and Treat...it is church sponsored." ....and I caved.....until I met a real witch.  Yes, real witch.  Do you tell your children that they are fantasy?  Made up?  Very much alive and well....    And then I knew in my heart of hearts that I had to answer for my own obedience....and as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.  Now I live in a country where they think it is absolutely crazy that we would celebrate halloween..we would dress up as devils, witches and ghosts....

When we make changes, what the world considers "radical" changes, we will be messed with...we will.  Be ready.  And the opposition can be fierce...your changes may force them to reevaluate their lives..and that isn't always welcomed.  Be obedient..but be obedient humbly....walk with assurance....yet, walk softly.  Life isn't about a popularity contest.... Odds are there may be more that dislike you than truly like you....and as the end draws near...this will become even more apparent...so stand ready, armed with God's word...obedient in every step. (By the way, I have since apologized profusely to my sweet friend over the halloween incident!)

No comments:

Post a Comment