Wednesday, January 9, 2013

A Look Back at Our First Week in Nicaragua

I have started this post I think a million times....at least.  How do you put into words a gift that it so precious?  Yes, the journey here has been difficult. Yes, it was hard to say goodbye.  Yes, it is a transition that will define our lives. But, this past week has been one of the most amazing weeks of our lives. 

The staff at H.O.P.E. Central has welcomed our family (and I mean, our whole family) with open arms.  We arrived in the night with all of our luggage and a four-year old and a dog (Buster) in tow...and the staff, our team, did not flinch once. We quickly were able unpack and get settled.  This past week has been spent learning the roads in and around Managua, finding the grocery stores and then the market (it is cheaper) , exploring the base and learning how to do our lives in a difficult culture.

During this time, we have been able to spend time in the communities (movie night and children's time in Mateare), looking at homes in the other communities that teams will do work in this year and meeting our staffs families and learning the ebb and flow of the country.

What have I learned this week?  I've learned that God answers prayers that sometimes we never voice..... Travis and I hadn't spoke of this dream since 2002 when we first stepped foot on Nicaraguan soil.  I can look back over the past ten years to see how God has prepared us for this time.  I've learned that our God is not a God of waste.  He only gives us what we need when we need it...otherwise we would be holding it until we need it. I have learned to be comfortable in waiting on God's provision....(not that I am always calm but I know where to go to gain the calmness).  I have learned that my daughter (Taellor) is such a lady of grace.  I love how she easily moves from culture to culture from person to person.  I have learned that when you leave certain people (those at home) you literally feel as if your heart is being torn in two...but that God provides the salve for that hurt, if you allow him.  I have learned to look through the eyes of Slaton and see a world that is incredible. 

This Sunday, I sat next to a lady who has been a missionary in Nicaragua for 25 years..she came here alone...just her and God.  She said it was the most difficult 25 years of her life but she has never felt more alive.  In the movie "The Hobbit", the hobbit, while contemplating whether or not he should go on the journey,  asks Argon, "Can you promise that I will return?" and Argon replies, "No, but I can promise if you do that you won't be the same." 

We had a wonderful staff meeting today at H.O.P.E. Central. I am excited about the staff and the work that will be done through Christ's name.  We pray that when we work in our communities that the people will see Christ and not ourselves.

Please continue to pray that our house will sell in the States.  Slaton had a wonderful good first day...and I think that we have found our babysitter!  So excited!!!  Pray that we all can stay healthy and that we can be the servants that we were called to be.

Love to everyone.
The Stearns

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tammy, I just want to tell you how much I admire all of your family for "listening and obeying" God's call on your lives. I will continually pray for you, your family and the lives I know you are going to touch. I am happy to hear you are all settling in. I could not be more proud of you if you were my own daughter..What a change God wrought in your life from when you were young. I know if Grandma and Jo were still here, they would have had a hard time with you leaving, but I can feel them smiling now as they see through "God eyes." Love, blessings and prayers from Aunt Karen:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear about your new venture!!

    ReplyDelete